“The use of silver in medicine dates back thousands of years, and scientists have long known that the metal is a potent antibacterial agent. Silver ions perform their deadly work by punching holes in bacterial membranes and wreaking havoc once inside. They bind to essential cell components like DNA, preventing the bacteria from performing even their most basic functions”. sciencemag.org
Researchgate – ‘History of the Medical Use of Silver‘ Silver has been used extensively throughout recorded history for a variety of medical purposes. A review of the literature in English was undertaken, primarily using PUBMED, to identify the medical uses of silver before the clinical introduction of antibiotics in the 1940s. Silver has been used for at least six millennia to prevent microbial infections. It has been effective against almost all organisms tested and has been used to treat numerous infections and noninfectious conditions, sometimes with striking success. Silver also has played an important role in the development of radiology and in improving wound healing. Silver was the most important antimicrobial agent available before the introduction of antibiotics.https://www.researchgate.net/publication/26330393_History_of_the_Medical_Use_of_Silver
Academicjournals – ‘Antibacterial efficacy of colloidal silver alone and in
combination with other antibiotics on isolates from
wound Infections‘ https://academicjournals.org/journal/SRE/article-full-text-pdf/78F186B13472
Sciencemag – “Silver turns bacteria into deadly zombies” https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/05/silver-turns-bacteria-deadly-zombies
National Library of Medicine – ‘Antimicrobial Silver in Medicinal and Consumer Applications: A Patent Review of the Past Decade (2007–2017)‘ https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6315945/
Phys.org – “Scientists seek a deeper understanding of how silver kills bacteria” https://phys.org/news/2018-10-scientists-deeper-silver-bacteria.html
National Library of Medicine – “Antibacterial Activity and Mechanism of Action of the Silver Ion in Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli▿” https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2292600/?report=classic
NASA.gov – ‘Disinfection of Spacecraft Potable Water Systems by Passivation
with Ionic Silver‘ https://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=20110014435 https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20110014435.pdf
The Rediscovery of a Super Antibiotic?
Colloidal silver appears to be a powerful, natural antibiotic and preventative against infections. Acting as a catalyst, it reportedly disables the enzyme that one-celled bacteria, viruses and fungi need for their oxygen metabolism. They suffocate without corresponding harm occurring to human enzymes or parts of the human body chemistry. The result is the destruction of disease-causing organisms in the body and in the food.
Colloidal silver was in common use until 1938. Many remember their grandparents putting silver dollars in milk to prolong its freshness at room temperature. At the turn of the century, scientists had discovered that the body’s most important fluids are colloidal in nature: suspended ultra-fine particles. Blood, for example, carries nutrition and oxygen to the body cells. This led to studies with colloidal silver. Prior to 1938, colloidal silver was used by physicians as a mainstream antibiotic treatment and was considered quite “high-tech.” Production methods, however, were costly. The pharmaceutical industry moved in, causing colloidal research to be set aside in favor of fast working, more toxic and potentially dangerous drugs.
The Food and Drug Administration today classifies colloidal silver as a pre-1938 drug. A letter from the FDA dated 9/13/91 states: “These products may continue to be marketed . . . as long as they are advertised and labeled for the same use as in 1938 and as long as they are manufactured in the original manner.” Some of the manufacturing methods used before 1938 are still used today. An electro-colloidal process, which is known to be the best method, is used.
While studying regeneration of limbs, spinal cords and organs in the late 1970s, Robert O. Becker, M.D., author of The Body Electric, discovered that silver ions promote bone growth and kill surrounding bacteria. The March 1978 issue of Science Digest, in an article, “Our Mightiest Germ Fighter,” reported: “Thanks to eye-opening research, silver is emerging as a wonder of modern medicine. An antibiotic kills perhaps a half-dozen different disease organisms, but silver kills some 650. Resistant strains fail to develop. Moreover, silver is virtually non-toxic.” The article ended with a quote by Dr. Harry Margraf, a biochemist and pioneering silver researcher who worked with the late Carl Moyer, M.D., chairman of Washington University’s Department of Surgery in the 1970s: “Silver is the best all-around germ fighter we have.”
How It Works
The presence of colloidal silver near a virus, fungus, bacterium or any other single celled pathogen disables its oxygen metabolism enzyme, its chemical lung, so to say. Within a few minutes, the pathogen suffocates and dies, and is cleared out of the body by the immune, lymphatic and elimination systems. Unlike pharmaceutical antibiotics, which destroy beneficial enzymes, colloidal silver leaves these tissue-cell enzymes intact, as they are radically different from the enzymes of primitive single-celled life. Thus colloidal silver is absolutely safe for humans, reptiles, plants and all multi-celled living matter.
Ingesting Colloidal Silver
Taken orally, the silver solution is absorbed from the mouth into the bloodstream, then transported quickly to the body cells. Swishing the solution under the tongue briefly before swallowing may result in faster absorption. In three to four days the silver may accumulate in the tissues sufficiently for benefits to begin. Colloidal silver is eliminated by the kidneys, lymph system and bowel after several weeks. If routinely exposed to dangerous pathogenic germs, some recommend a regular daily intake as a protection. In cases of minor burns, an accumulation of colloidal silver may hasten healing, reducing the possibility of scar tissue and infection. It is believed by many in the natural healing arts that the lives of millions of people who are susceptible to chronic low-grade infections can be enhanced by this preventative health measure.
Chronic or Serious Conditions
1 teaspoon of 15 ppm. colloidal silver equals about 75 micrograms (mcg.) of silver. 1 teaspoons per day is generally considered to be a “nutritional amount” and is reported to be safe to use for extended periods of time. Amounts higher than this are generally considered “therapeutic amounts” and should only be used periodically.
In cases of illness, natural health practitioners have often recommended taking double or triple the “nutritional amount” for 30 to 45 days, then dropping down to a smaller maintenance dose. Amounts from 1 – 32 ounces per day have reportedly been used in acute conditions.
If your body is extremely ill or toxic, do not be in a hurry to clear up everything at once. If pathogens are killed off too quickly, the body’s five eliminatory channels (liver, kidneys, skin, lungs and bowel) may be temporarily overloaded, causing flu-like conditions, headache, extreme fatigue, dizziness, nausea or aching muscles. Ease off on the colloidal silver to a smaller amount and increase your distilled water intake. Regular bowel movements are a must in order to relieve the discomforts of detoxification. Resolve to reduce sugar and saturated fats from the diet, and exercise more. Given the opportunity, the body’s natural ability to heal may amaze you.
Some have used colloidal silver in a nasal spray mister – to reach the sinuses and nasal passages. Spray bottles have been used for topical use on kitchen and bathroom surfaces, skin, sore throat, eyes, burns, etc. Colloidal silver is painless on cuts, abrasions, in open wounds, in the nostrils for a stuffy nose, and even in a baby’s eyes because, unlike some antiseptics, it does not destroy tissue cells. It’s excellent as an underarm deodorant, since most underarm odor is caused by bacteria breaking down substances released by the sweat glands!
Some Common Uses of Colloidal Silver
Natural health practitioners have for years recommended taking one tablespoon daily, for four days, to establish a level, then one teaspoon daily for maintenance (proportional to body weight for children). After six weeks, a pause of several weeks has also been recommended by some natural healing arts doctors. Also, colloidal silver can be applied directly to cuts, scrapes, and open sores, or on a bandage for warts. It can be applied on eczema, itches, acne or bug bites. To purify water, add one tablespoon per gallon, shake well and wait six minutes. Mixed this way, it’s tasteless. It is not an allopathic poison.
Veterinary and Garden Use
Colloidal silver has worked just as well on pets of all kinds. Used in proportion to body weight, it should bring the same results. In the garden, field or greenhouse, add enough to the water or soil – and the plants will do the rest.
Tolerance To Disease Organisms
We have all heard of the “super-germs” that are resistant to most modern antibiotics. Some believe that single-celled germs cannot mutate into silver-resistant forms, as happens with conventional antibiotics. Therefore no tolerance to colloidal silver would develop through mutation. Also, colloidal silver has not been demonstrated to interact or interfere with other medicines being taken. Inside the body, silver does not form toxic compounds or react with anything other than a germ’s oxygen-metabolizing enzyme. Colloidal silver may truly be a safe, natural remedy for many of mankind’s ills.
Additionally, there has never been a drug interaction reported between colloidal silver and any other medication. It’s difficult to overdose – unless large amounts are ingested. Colloidal silver has been reported by users to be both a remedy and a prevention for numerous infections, colds, flus, and fermentations due to various bacteria, viruses or fungi, even the non-apparent low-grade, general body infections many people have. Living organisms are in the colloidal chemical state, not the crystalline state. Substances already in that form may be more readily assimilated by the body. Colloidal silver is the most useable form of a reputedly effective germ fighter.
A colloidal suspension is ultra-fine particles of one substance, suspended by an electric charge in another substance. Homogenized milk and aerosol sprays are colloidal suspensions. Colloidal silver is pure, metallic silver (not a chemical compound) of particles 15 atoms or fewer, each with a positive electric charge, and attached to a molecule of simple protein. This new particle floats in pure water. The electric charge is stronger than gravity so the silver particles don’t sink.
Colloidal Silver in Advance of Illness?
When the possibility of germ exposure is higher, colloidal silver can be taken orally each day or applied topically when there is a skin problem. It’s like having a second defense system. The silver acts only as a catalyst and is stabilized. It is non-toxic, except to one-cell plants and animals, and is non-addicting. It also apparently kills parasites because they have a one cell egg stage in their reproductive cycle.
Older folks reportedly feel younger because their body energies are used for other uses than constantly fighting disease. Digestion has also been reportedly better. Medical research has shown that silver promotes more rapid healing, with less scar tissue, even in the case of severe burns. Successes have been reported in cases that previously have been given up by established doctors. Colloidal silver won’t sting even a baby’s eyes, and won’t upset your stomach.
More Than 650 Diseases Helped?
Colloidal silver has been reported to kill 650 micro-organisms, many of which are associated with human diseases. This does not automatically mean that taking colloidal silver will “cure” diseases “caused” by these germs. Colloidal silver only kills micro-organisms when they are in contact with it for a sufficient period of time. The human body is a complex system which may prevent high enough concentrations of colloidal silver from reaching the “affected area”.
The basic guideline that has been recommended for using colloidal silver is that it usually “works” if you can get a high enough concentration to the “affected area”. Some will want to experiment with “higher amounts” (such as 8 or more ounces at a time) to find out what it takes to accomplish this. Do not use colloidal silver if you are allergic to contact with silver metals, or if you notice any digestive upset after use.
The following is a partial list of the more than 650 diseases that colloidal silver has been reputed to be successful against: acne, AIDS (Reference 8), allergies, appendicitis, arthritis, athlete’s foot, bladder inflammation, blood parasites, blood poisoning, boils, burns, cancer (References 2, 4, 7), candida, cholera, colitis, conjunctivitis, cystitis, dermatitis, diabetes (Reference 1), dysentery, eczema, fibrositis, gastritis, gonorrhea, hay fever, herpes, impetigo, indigestion, keratitis, leprosy, leukemia, lupus, lymphangitis, Lyme disease, malaria, meningitis, neurasthenia, parasitic infections: viral, fungal and bacterial pneumonia, pleurisy, prostate, pruritus ani, psoriasis, purulent opthalmia, rhinitis, rheumatism, ringworm, scarlet fever, septic conditions of the eyes, ears, mouth, and throat, seborrhea, septicemia, shingles, skin cancer, staphylococcus and streptococcus infections, stomach flu, syphilis, thyroid, tuberculosis, tonsillitis, toxemia, trachoma, all forms of virus, warts, whooping cough, yeast infection, stomach ulcer, canine parovirus and other veterinary uses, and fungal and viral attacks on plants. Simply spray diluted silver on the leaves and add to the soil.
- “Use of Colloids in Health and Disease.” Colloidal silver has proven particularly effective in cases of intestinal troubles. Dr. Henry Crooks found that “silver in the colloidal state is highly germicidal, quite harmless to humans and absolutely non-toxic. Rather than in a chemical compound, the silver in the colloidal state may be applied in a much more concentrated form, with correspondingly better results. All virus, fungus, bacterium, streptococcus, staphylococcus, and other pathogenic organisms are killed in three or four minutes upon contact. There are no side effects whatsoever from the highest concentrations.”
- Dr. Robert Becker, “The Body Electric,” recognized a correlation between low silver levels and sickness. He said the silver deficiency was responsible for the improper functioning of the immune system. Dr. Becker’s experiments conclude that silver works on the full spectrum of pathogens without any side effects or damage to any part of the body. He also states that the silver was doing something more than killing disease organisms. It was also causing major growth stimulation of injured tissues. Burn patients and elderly patients noticed more rapid healing. He discovered that all cancer cells change back to normal cells. All strains of pathogens resistant to other antibiotics are killed by colloidal silver. Yet at that time he couldn’t find a silver supplement on the market.
- “Silver, Our Mightiest Germ Fighter,” ScienceDigest, March 1978. As an antibiotic, colloidal silver kills over 650 disease causing organisms, and resistant strains fail to develop. Silver is the best all-around germ fighter we have and is absolutely non-toxic! Doctors report that, taken internally, it works against syphilis, cholera, malaria, diabetes and severe burns. Richard L. Davies, executive director of the Silver Institute which monitors silver technology in 37 countries, reports: “In four years we’ve described 87 important new medical uses for silver.”
- Dr. Bjorn Nordstrom, of the Karolinska Institute, Sweden, has used silver in his cancer treatment method. He says the whole thing is quite simple. This brought rapid remission in patients given up on by other doctors.
- The FDA has stated that because colloidal silver is accepted as a pre-1938 medication, it may continue to be marketed. Letter, 13 September 1991, received from consumer safety officer Harold Davis, U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
- “Colloidal Preparations of Silver in Pharmacy,” British Medical Journal, February 1923: “Pure Silver is entirely non-irritant. In tests at very high concentrations, it has been shown repeatedly that the rapidly exerted disinfectant action is of considerable therapeutic value.”
- Dr. Otto Warberg (Nobel Prize Winner, 1932) stated that “Cancer is caused by the lack of oxygen and the fermentation of sugars.”
- Provo Herald, 13 February 1992, page D1: “Colloidal Silver as a Remedy for AIDS.quot;
- American Drug Index, section on Inorganic Pharmaceutical Chemistry, recognized silver for its germicidal action, calling a stabilized form: Mild Silver Protein. There are several concentrations of Mild Silver Protein.
- The Condensed Medical Dictionary, 6th Edition: Mild Silver Protein is listed for medicinal use. The 4s protein-2 is the trace used as a stabilizer.
- Medicinal Silver Home Remedies, Maurice Worthington, M.D., 1928.
- “Colloidal Silver Preparations of Silver in Pharmacy,” British Medical Journal, 1932.
- Royalty, worldwide, have been called “Blue Bloods,” because of the silver content in their blood, even from birth. They used real silverware, ate from silver dishes, and stored their food in silver containers. There were no doctors. The common people were often sick with something.
- Colloidal Silver, The Antibiotic Alternative by Lloyd Michael Canty and Zane Baranowski, CN. $3.50 each, plus 50 cents postage each. The Association for Advanced Colloid Research, 232 NE Lincoln St. Suite 1, Hillsboro, Oregon 97124. 503-640-0810.
- World Without Cancer by G. Edward Griffin. History of allopathic medicine in America. $9.95, plus $2.00 for postage. The Cancer Control Society, 2043 N. Berendo, Los Angeles, CA 90027. (213) 663-7801
- The Body Electric and Cross Currents by Dr. Robert Becker.
- Secrets of the Soil by Christopher Bird and Peter Tompkins.
- Murder by Injection by Eustace Mullin. History of the AMA, also addresses, the Drug Trust, fluoridation, Aids and other health problems. $15.00 plus $1.50 postage. The National Commission for Judicial Reform, P.O. Box 1105, Staunton, VA 24401
- Chemistry’s Miraculous Colloids by Kenneth Andrews. The Readers Digest, March 1936. Quoting, Dr. Frederick Macy, one of the country’s outstanding bacteriologists.
- John Hopkins Hospital, More News on Silver. Dr. Leonard Herschberg
- Michael D. Lemonick. The Killers All Around, Time Magazine, Sept. 12, 1994.
- Searle, A.B. The use of Colloids in Health and Disease. The British Medical Journal. Nov, 1913, p. 83 Dr. Henry Crookes,
- Colloidal Silver, Where have you been? by Iris A. Moore, The New Times, Seattle WA, May 1994
- Brentano, L. MD, Margraf, H, Monafo, W.W. MD and Moyer,C.A. MD Antibacterial Efficacy of a Colloidal Silver Complex. Surgical Forum Vol. 17, 1966, pp. 76-78 Also Quoting, Dr. Harry Margraf
- Report on Colloidal Silver, The Best Kept Secret, by Martha Duncan.
- Thurman, R.B. and Gerba, C.P. (1989) The molecular mechanics of copper and silver ion disinfection of bacteria and viruses. Quoting, Dr. Richard Davies, The Silver Institute, Wash, V. 18, 4, p. 295
- Oxygen Therapies by Ed Mc Cabe. $12.00 Includes postage, Energy Publications, 99- RD #1, Morrisville, NY 13408
- H.E.L.P ful News, Vol. 8 No. 9
- Science Digest, March 1978, Quoting Jim Powell
- Harold Davis, U.S. FDA Letter, September 1991
- The Olympian, Sunday, Feb. 20, 1994 quote by Alexander Tomasz / San Francisco, Associated Press
- Newsweek Magazine, March 28, 1994 Antibiotics, The End of Miracle Drugs?
- Magnesium Oxtazone, Colloid Research foundation, 1-800-487-5463
- Newsweek Magazine, May 22,1995. Outbreak of Fear
The statements in this article have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration, and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Nothing stated here should be considered as medical advice for dealing with a given problem. You should consult your health care professional for individual guidance for specific health problems. This article on colloidal silver is simply a collection of information that is in the public domain, and is presented strictly for informational and educational use only. Information conveyed herein is based on pharmacological and other records both ancient and modern. No claims whatsoever can be made as to the specific benefits accruing from the use of colloidal silver. Anyone with knowledge of additional information on colloidal silver is highly encouraged to e-mail that information so that it can be shared with others who may be interested.